Wednesday, June 13, 2012

100 Calorie Blueberry Muffins!

Blueberry Muffins!  Only one hundred calories a piece.  And these are not mini-muffins either.  I a not ashamed to say that as a kid my family dug on the muffins from the packet.  You know the kind with the dried blueberries, you add milk and oil to it throw it in the oven and voila!  Loved em.  I looked up the fancy kind of muffin mix (the kind with the blueberries in the little tin).  220 calories in a muffin, and only one gram of protein.  I started playing with the idea of adding ricotta to my muffins like I do my pancakes... the result was pretty darn good if I do say so myself.
The ricotta adds a good deal of moisture to the muffins and the blueberries add volume without adding lots of calories.  I tried two different versions, one version had ricotta and eggs on top and added a cheesecake like topping, but the inside was a bit dry.  Mixing the ricotta into the batter made the muffins much more moist.

Recipe:
3 Cups Heart Smart Bisquick
1 Cup Skim Milk
2 Eggs
1 Cup 0% Greek Yogurt
15 oz. Part Skim Ricotta Cheese
1 Pint of Blueberries
Splenda to Taste

In a large bowl, combine the bisquick, milk and eggs.  Stir until everything is nicely blended.  Whisk in the yogurt and the ricotta cheese.  Really whisk it to get those lumps to dissolve into the batter.  Give it a taste at this point and add splenda to sweeten it to your liking.  I think I used 3 Tablespoons or so.  Rinse the blueberries and pat dry with a paper towel.  Fold in the blueberries to the batter.  I used a a 1/4 cup to scoop the batter into muffin tins.  I used muffin wrappers, but I would spray the pan and skip that step as they really stuck to the wrapper.  Bake for about 25 minutes or until a fork comes out clean and you are starting to see the beautiful golden brown color on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment