Thursday, July 21, 2011

My Just Desserts

I usually handle my dietary restrictions pretty well.  I have a proclivity towards bread, but for the most part that is my only real weakness with the new rules on my diet.  Recently, though, I have been craving all sorts of things that I am not supposed to eat.  It started innocently enough, a coupon for a bagel thin appeared at my door.  In my head, a bagel thin is much better than a bagel. It is much much smaller, and if I got some cream cheese that would even add protein.  I know that I would desperately regret eating such a thing, but the thought was planted none-the-less.  Next came ice cream.  I am reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone at the moment, and Dudley gets a large chocolate ice cream at the zoo.  Now I want some chocolate ice cream almost as much as I want to keep breathing.  With these cravings forcing their way into my thoughts, they seem to have brought others along as well.  A whopper with cheese, waffle fries, apple pie, and last but most assuredly not least - a peach milkshake.  I'm not hungry in the slightest, even as I type out all of these nastily dangerous words, I feel no hunger.  But oh how I want them, that little thought keeps niggling at my brain.

I have successfully resisted temptation so far, and one of the awesome things that has come out of my new life, I know that I will continue to resist.  That's not to say though, that I get no satisfaction.  That chocolate craving was cured with a 100 calorie dark chocolate bar from Trader Joe's.  Only 5 grams of sugar in the whole bar, and it takes a good long while to eat the whole bar.  I combined that with an ice cold glass of milk, and I was one happy lady.  The burger craving was fixed with alternate fast food, Taco Bell fresco chicken soft taco.  Now I am pretty sure that the peach milkshake has no fix, there is nothing in the world quite like it. However, I am finding that the simple things in life are just more fun for me these days.  So, ok, I am missing out on a few flavors and sensations that I once liked.  I have gained so many other things that I now love.  While listening to music on my drive to Athens today, I daydreamed about going for a run.  That is not something that I do.  I parked my car and walked back in to my building and on a few quick errands around my apartment complex today instead of figuring out the least possible steps I could take and still get my tasks done.  I reveled in each step in the sunshine.  Way better than a whopper.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment